Reports & Resources
California WateReuse Action Plan
WateReuse California released the California WateReuse Action Plan in 2019. The plan is a comprehensive set of proposed actions for the next 30 years that will more than double the use of water recycling in California and help prepare the state for the impacts of climate change. The Plan identifies four strategic areas for action: research, regulations, regional planning and funding and includes 20 specific recommendations.
Communicating about Pharmaceutical and CEC Management in Recycled Water
Learn more about how utilities discuss pharmaceuticals and contaminants of emerging concern when communicating about recycled water. The WateReuse California Communications Collaborative Group conducted a survey in 2021 to learn more about this issue, and published findings in support of the National Water Reuse Action Plan, Action 2.9: “Align policies and communication tools to promote best management of unused and expired pharmaceuticals to support water reuse and recycling.”
Bay Area Recycled Water Landscape Guide
Irrigating San Francisco Bay Area Landscapes with Recycled Water is an easy-to-use 20-page document that includes a plant list for the Bay Area. WRCA encourages Bay Area members to post the guide on their websites and make it available to customers. The primary author is Nelda Matheny, who is a senior consultant with HortScience. Eric Hansen, formerly with Silicon Valley Clean Water, helped initiate and manage the project with support from Bay Area Clean Water Agencies and a number of individual agencies in the Bay Area. The guide is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Bahman Sheikh, who provided numerous editorial reviews.
- Santa Clara Medical Association Bulletin (2022 Q2)
- California Recycled Water Agriculture Timeline
- California Potable Reuse Projects
- Water Reuse Terminology
- Accounting for Salinity Leaching in the Application of Recycled Water for Landscape Irrigation (White Paper)
- Bioanalytical Tools for Detection and Quantification of Estrogenic and Dioxin-Like Chemicals in Water Recycling and Reuse: Guidance Document for Developing a Standard Operating Procedure (WRCA and NWRI)
- Potable Reuse: Surface Augmentation (White Paper)
- Water on Purpose: The Right Water for the Right Use
- WateReuse California Celebrates 30 Years of Reuse: 1990-2020
- WateReuse California 2020 Update
- Recycled Water Urban Irrigation User’s Manual
State, Regional & Local Agencies
- California Environmental Protection Agency
- California State Water Resources Control Board
- Water Desalination
- California Recycled Water Survey
Laws & Regulations
- Recycled Water Uses Allowed in California
- Title 17 and Title 22 Regulations Related to Water Reuse
- WRCA Legislative Update
- Water Use Efficiency Legislation AB 1668 and SB 606 Signed into law 2018 implementation of recycled water provisions PowerPoint
- Risk-Based Framework for the Development of Public Health Guidance for Decentralized Non-Potable Water Systems
- Salt/Nutrient Management Plan for Central and West Coast Groundwater Basins
- Using Disinfected Tertiary Recycled Water for Non-Dairy Livestock Watering: A Human and Animal Health Evaluation for the State of California
WateReuse Recycled Water Signage Guidelines
This WateReuse California Signage Guidelines provide guidance for creating a more uniform message to the public at properties where recycled water is in use.
The guidelines include suggestions for sign composition, color, font, size, and message. The guidelines also offer translations of frequently used messages on recycled water signs.
The document can be used to gather ideas for creative approaches to recycled water signs, or it can be used as a reference of sign options to consider using.
View the Guidelines document here.