Advocacy in Action
The WateReuse Association advocates for policies and funding to support water reuse every day. “Advocacy in Action” is a central repository for our advocacy action items and resources, including letters to Congress, policy analyses, fact sheets, and more. This tool allows members to track our advocacy and serves as a resource for members when communicating with their specific congressional delegations.
Policy Briefs: The Case for Investment in Water Reuse
Investing in Water Reuse for Climate Change Mitigation, Adaptation, and Economic Resiliency
Our climate policy brief explains why it is vitally important for the nation to invest in water recycling to build resilience, manage energy demands, support public and environmental health, and ensure America’s economic prosperity.
Access to Safe & Affordable Water: The Case for Investment in Water Reuse
Recycled water programs are a critical component of America’s current and future water resources portfolio. They are helping communities stabilize water rates, sustain economic activity, and address environmental and infrastructure challenges.
The executive branch includes the president, vice president, the Cabinet, executive departments, independent agencies, and other boards, commissions, and committees. The Administration carries out and enforces laws.
Policies and Regulation
- Joint Water Sector Letter to the White House Infrastructure Coordinator and U.S. EPA on Build America, Buy America Act requirements (September 15, 2022)
- Comment Letter on Build America, Buy America Act waivers for additional selected U.S. EPA funding programs (July 27, 2022)
- Comment Letter on Build America, Buy America Act waivers for State Revolving Fund projects (June 29, 2022)
- Comment Letter on Build America, Buy America Act waivers for Water Infrastructure and Innovation Act projects and other water reuse programs (May 20, 2022)
- Comment Letter on the proposed definition of “Waters of the United States” (WOTUS) put forward by the U.S. EPA and Army Corps of Engineers (February 7, 2022)
- Joint water sector letter to the Office of Management and Budget and U.S. EPA on Build America, Buy America mandates in the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (January 3, 2022)
- Implementation recommendations letter to the Bureau of Reclamation regarding Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (January 3, 2022)
- Comment Letter on Federal Government departments’ and agencies’ published climate change adaptation and resiliency plans (November 5, 2021)
- Comment Letter on U.S. EPA’s draft guidance memorandum on the “Functional Equivalent” discharge test for groundwater discharges (January 12, 2021)
National Water Reuse Action Plan
- Joint Water Sector letter on the importance of the National Water Reuse Action Plan (December 3, 2020)
- Recommendations to President-Elect Biden’s transition team, urging the incoming Administration to prioritize water recycling (November 9, 2020)
- WateReuse Comments on the draft National Water Reuse Action Plan (December 16, 2019)
- Joint Water Sector Comments on the draft National Water Reuse Action Plan (December 16, 2019)
- Joint Water Sector Comments on the development of the EPA/Federal Agency National Water Reuse Action Plan (July 1, 2019)
Congressional Advocacy: 117th Congress
The federal budget contains estimates of income and spending and recommends funding levels. Congress then must pass appropriations bills based on the president’s recommendations and Congressional priorities.
- WateReuse Letter Urging Congressional Leadership to Protect Water Reuse Funding in Build Back Better (January 31, 2022).
Appropriations are annual decisions made by Congress about how the federal government spends some of its money.
- FY 2023 Alternative Water Source Grant Pilot Project one-pager (March 2022)
- FY 2022 appropriations requests to the Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee (June 2021)
- FY 2022 appropriations requests to the Senate Interior-Environment Appropriations Subcommittee.
- FY 2022 appropriations testimony to the House Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee (May 2021)
- WateReuse Letter from WRCA regarding FY 2022 appropriations (April 2021)
- Joint water sector letter to Congressional leadership on per- and polyflouroalkyl substances (PFAS) in the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) (May 2022)
Water Reuse Infrastructure Investment Legislation
- SUEZ letter on infrastructure package and Alternative Water Source Grants (August 2021)
- Water sector letter on Buy American expansion (August 2021)
- Joint letter on smart water technology (May 2021)
- WateReuse letter in support of H.R. 1915, the Water Quality Protection and Job Creation Act of 2021 (April 2021)
- Support letter urging infrastructure investment package that includes water recycling (April 2021)
- Joint water sector letter in support of federal investment in water infrastructure (March 2021)
- Support letter for Senate’s Drinking Water and Wastewater Infrastructure Act of 2021 (March 2021)
- Support letter to Rep. Grace Napolitano (D-CA) for the Water Recycling Investment and Improvement Act (HR 1015) (March 2021)
- Support letter for House Water Recycling Investment and Improvement Act of 2021 (March 2021)
- Agricultural-Water Sectors Joint Letter urging stimulus funding for water reuse and other water infrastructure (January 2021)
- Joint water sector letter to House and Senate leadership urging COVID-19 relief to utilities and ratepayers (November 16, 2020)
- Joint water sector letter to House and Senate leadership urging funding to utilities to cover costs associated with coronavirus pandemic, as well as increased funding for water infrastructure programs (March 23, 2020)
- Joint water sector letter to House and Senate leadership urging capital assistance and pandemic risk insurance for associations and non-profits (March 23, 2020)
- Support letter to House and Senate leadership urging that any Coronavirus stimulus package include investment in Title XVI investment (March 19, 2020)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Water Transmission and COVID-19
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: Coronavirus and Drinking Water and Wastewater
- H.R. 748, Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act
- Committee Roster – The chairs and ranking members of the congressional committees and subcommittee most relevant to water policy.
- Funding Policy Priorities – Joint water sector legislative policy priorities, which will be communicated to the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives.
- Title XVI GAO Report – A Government Accountability Office analysis found that the Bureau of Reclamation awarded about $715 million in water reuse grants for 46 construction projects and 71 studies under the Title XVI grant program from 1992-2017. (January 15, 2019)
- National Advocacy Opportunities Webcast – Top Washington water sector lobbyists discuss the status of key legislation and explain the opportunities to advance a water reuse policy agenda. (January 16, 2019)